Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day



This years Father's Day was quite interesting. Dale, the pilot for FedEx, offered to take us up in a Cessna airplane. Besides being a pilot he also is a flight instructor. Matt has been talking to him about it for the last month. Originally it was going to be just me and Matt but at the last minute we decided to take Andrew along for the ride too.



Joel and Jamie came over to watch the girls for us. Then we headed to the airport. Matt and I've been on an airplane numerous times. This was Andrew's first plane ride. I was a bit nervous because the plane is so little, it only seats four people. We brought along a trash bag just in case for Andrew.



Dale went over the plane with us, all the emergency procedures and pre flight check list. Andrew and I sat in the back, put on our seat belts and head phones. Matt sat in the copilot seat. At this point I knew at some point he would be flying the plane. We went over our flight plan and taxied to the runway.



Once in the air, Matt took over the controls immediately. In those first five minutes I was glad I had eaten hours before. Once he got the hang of it it was a smooth ride. We flew over our house, his house and Lake Ming. We spent about an hour up in the air. Andrew never got sick and had a great time. Both he and Matt had huge grins on their faces. They both are talking about how soon they can go up again.

No comments: