Monday, September 15, 2008

Ear Piercing




Madison has been asking to wear my earrings for the last 6 months. When you explain to her that she has to get her ears pierced she chickens out. She wants to wake up one morning and instantly have earrings. The earring gun scares her because she thinks there is a needle that's going to shoot into her earlobe. Plus she thinks it's going to be loud and the noise alone would probably scare her.





When I picked her up from school on Friday she was determined to get earrings. It was all she talked about on the walk home. I figured once we talked about the process she would drop it again. I was wrong. Madison called Mimi, my mom, and asked her to take her to the mall. We decided we would go on Saturday afternoon.Matt and I had placed bets, Matt said no way and I was iffy.





We went to the Piercing Pagoda and Madison picked out her earrings. They are little stainless steel hearts. I had to sign a wavier and then was asked who would be holding her hands down. I volunteered my mom. She sat in the chair and put Madison in her lap. At this point Madison started asking questions. Can I see "the gun". Is it going to hurt? Can you do it really slow? Thinking she was going to back out I asked that they do both ears at the same time.





They marked her ears, got out "the gun" and did the countdown. At this point I walked to the other side of the counter. You have to understand, I was letting complete strangers shoot holes in my 6 year old daughter. I might have been more nervous than Madison and I'm pretty sure my mom was laughing at me. I heard them pull the trigger and the next thing I know Madison is looking at me with a huge smile on her face and says, "look mom I have earrings".




No comments: