Monday, February 23, 2009

Iowa Trip

The last time we were in Iowa was for the Friesen Family Reunion and Grandma Margaret's 90th birthday 3 years ago. Madison and Andrew were 3 1/2 and Isabelle was only 6 months old. Matt and I talked about visiting again in December but the timing wasn't right. When his vacation came up in February we knew we needed to go.



One would think you could just pack your bags and go. Not to Iowa in winter. I had to go online and buy longs johns, scarves, gloves, boots, winter coats and hats. We don't need those things to live in sunny California. The winter here only gets down to the 40's. Half the time Matt and Andrew don't even wear jackets. The weather man assured me there would be snow on the ground in Iowa.



Thankfully my friend Melissa agreed to watch Dakota while we were gone. We all loaded in the rental van and picked Matt up from work. Then went to the dog park and dropped off Dakota and her things. We could see the dark clouds in the sky and were worried they would close the 58 freeway but luckily we got through.



The weather was good through California and Nevada. I hit Utah around midnight and by 2am had woken up Matt to drive. I have never driven in the snow and the flurries coming down were making me nervous. By 4am I was sure we were going to have to get off the I-70 and get a hotel. We were driving thru what I would call a blizzard. Matt just laughed and said it was a white out and for me to go to sleep. I didn't argue.



We arrived in Iowa late Saturday night. Sunday morning we went to see Grandma. Nathan, Janette, Ellie and Evan were there too. (Matt's cousin and his family) The kids played while we waited for Matt's other cousin Rachel and her husband Bryce. Then we went across the hall and had supper together. Later we played Rummy Cube until Rachel and Bryce had to leave.



The next day the kids got all bundled up and played in the snow. It was Great! Nathan let us borrow his sled and we all went down the hills. We made snow angels and I shoved Matt's face in the snow. We only lasted for an hour each day before we were cold and went inside for hot chocolate. Grandma played the piano, sang songs with the kids and read them books. We went to the Science Museum in Des Moines and the local library.



Matt and I were able to have one on one time with Margaret as well. Plus we were able to sit and have tea together every night. We got to hear stories about Matt as a kid, Leland (Matt's grandpa), and Roger (Matt's dad). When our time was up no one wanted to go home.

No comments: